2009-12-16

Linux on a Fujitsu U810 - Upgrade to karmic koala - External Monitor Update

Following the bug resolution here, I currently have the following setup to have the external monitor working as it was working in Ubuntu's previous version, jaunty:

In file /boot/grub/menu.lst, in the kernel line, I have added the nomodeset option:

title Ubuntu 9.10, kernel 2.6.31-17-generic
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-17-generic root=UUID=<deleted> ro quiet splash nomodeset
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-17-generic

And reboot.

I find the screen very nice and sharp, not any flickering even in small lines (I'm working with a 24'', 1900x1200), even better than in previous ubuntu. (Do I have to remember that using windows, maximum external resolution is 1600x768? ;-))

overall, I feel this new version much faster that previous, much more responsive, so I encourage all of you to upgrade asap, you won't be disappointed !!

update: I have even activated compiz, and the system still feels very responsive, so I keep it activated !

No comments:

Post a Comment